Re: REFLECTOR: Re: Reflector: Visqueen rolls.

Ben,

I don't know how aggressive you've been with the squeege but it is possible
to remove too much epoxy with a squeege thus making the layup too dry.  The
rule of thumb is to use a 50:50, by weight, galss to epoxy ratio.  Weigh
the glass on a gram scale and then mix an equal amount of epoxy.  This way
you can tell how well you're doing by how much, if any, epoxy is left over
after the galss is wet out.  I've been told that the best ratio is actually
60:40 glass to epoxy but uniformity can be difficult to achieve and you
increase the risk of having part of the layup too dry.  Much of any excess
epoxy (from a 50:50 ratio) can be removed by using peel ply.

Speaking of peel ply I would recommend that you send off for about 20 yds.
of the stuff and use it at every available opportunity.  It will save you
hours of sanding and makes for a much better layup.  I wish I had used more
on my project!

Good Luck with your project!

Denis Miller  173 FGE

Parrish <dmp@radbsd.mcg.edu>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Re: Reflector: Visqueen rolls.
> Date: Friday, January 22, 1999 7:33 AM
>
> I tried Saranwrap and didn't have any problems but I prefer Glad wrap
> because it's thinner and will follow contours more easily. I generally
use a
> roller and tearing hasn't been a problem, even with heavy pressure.
-Bill