REFLECTOR: Propellers and prop extensions

Following are two notes on the subject of propellers that I think you will find
interesting.  Simon's note contains a message from Nat Puffer to one of his
builders, the second note is from from Steve Boser at the Sensenich Wooden prop
Company in response to my forwarding Simon's note and requesting their input on the
subject.  I think you will find it interesting reading.

Jim

"Simon Aegerter [KPIE]" wrote:

> Jim,
>
> here's an interesting exchange of notes on the canard mail list:
>
> ---------------
>
> From: "Nat Puffer" <cozy@extremezone.com>
> To: "Eric Westland" <ewestland@altavista.net>
>
> <canard-aviators@canard.com>,
>         "Cozy Builders" <cozy_builders@canard.com>
> Subject: [canard-aviators] Re: COZY: Prop Question?
> Sender: owner-canard-aviators@betaweb.com
>
> [The Canard Aviators's Mailing list]
>
> Dear Eric,
> The 180 and 200 hp Lycomings are at the extreme limit of the amount of
> horsepower which can be transmitted from a 7" diameter flange to a
> wooden propeller by friction (I have been told by more than one source).
> All the wooden propellers I have seen for a 7" diameter flange have at
> least a 7-1/2" hub. When you apply the amount of torque on the bolts
> required to provide the friction necessary, you are on the verge of
> crushing the wood, even when the prop hub is 7-1/2" in diameter.
>
> I don't know whose propeller you purchased (and you don't have to tell
> me), but I don't think much of the designer/manufacturer if he said it's
> okay for a 200 hp 4-cylinder engine. He has used up a significant amount
> of the safety factor you are entitled to. I suggest you tell him the
> designer of your airframe states that his propeller isn't satisfactory
> and you should ask for you money back. I have an extra propeller I could
> loan you if this causes you a bind.  Clark Lydick is in the same
> building as Judy Sabor. Why don't you get his opinion as well? I don't
> like to see anyone putting one of my builders at risk!
> Best regards,
> Nat
>
> > From: Eric Westland <ewestland@altavista.net>
> >
> > Well, after waiting much longer than I should have, my 2-blade prop
> > showed up for my Lycoming 200 hp engine.  It looks just fine, but when I
> > went to mount it on my 7" extension from Judy Saber, I realized that the
> > prop's hub was slightly undersize, 6.65" in diameter to be precise.  So
> > I called the maker and he assured me this was OK.  I'm not so sure if
> > it's OK or within the range of acceptability, what do you folks think?
> > I guess I just figured it would be as large (or slightly larger) as the
> > flange and crush plate surfaces.
> >
> > Eric Westland

> Nat Puffer is the designer of the Cosy, as you know of course. Both the facts
> (7" is the lower limit) and the attitude (...someone putting my builders at
> risk) are remarkable from out perspective, I think.
>
> Seeya
> Simon

*** The following message is from Steve Boser at the Sensenich Wooden prop Company
***
message
***