Re: REFLECTOR: Bulkhead Installation

>From: "William Wade" <billwade@concentric.net>
>To: <reflector@awpi.com>, "Benjamin David Cowan" <bdcowan@telepath.com>
>Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Bulkhead Installation
>Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 20:28:52 -0500
>
>David- I used a microglass/ Safetypoxy mixture for the fillets, then =
>glassed directly to it before it had cured. My reasoning was that =
>micoglass is structural while microballoons are not. Also the tape =
>glass/ micro cure and bond as one, with no  need for a secondary bond.
I =
>used this on all my fillets. I also used microglass slurry to fill the
=
>weave inside the fuselage under the tape. Certainly it means extra =
>weight- how much I don't know but I'd guess I bought at least 10 pounds
=
>of microglass over the course of the project. Most of it went into the
=
>strakes though.   -Bill
>
>prototype 'Super' Chipmunk N18EF
>Velocity Classic RG N6098S in the works

When I suggested doing this, some of the engineering types said this is
an example of more is not necessarily better.  The way it was explained
to me was that, the intent of a tape-glass "T" joint is the load from
the bulkhead (or whatever) is transferred via the tape over a large
area.  The fillet is not structural by intent.  If you use a microglass
(load carrying) fillet, then the load will be concentrated at the butt
joint.

Larry Epstein
173 FGE