Re: REFLECTOR: duct installation

From:           	"R. Wayne Owens" <wamowens@bellsouth.net>

> sizing the radiator. The most practical way is to use a large truck radiator
> and run the engine full power on a test stand, cover more and more of the

How much area did you end up with? Did the truck radiator have a
fin density close to radiators commonly used in conversions? (The
VW Rabbit diesel radiator is a common one.)

> and take a measurement. of volume and square area. I now have some
> interesting ratios of power Vs volume of radiator to work with. I compared

Definitely would like to see your ratios.

> My conclusion was there may not be enough room in the front for
> the required
> radiator volume  and especially the 7 to 11 degree tapered duct work

I can't see any way there's enough room in the front of a Velocity
for a water cooled engine's radiator. On the AirSIG list serve, we've
been working on a cooling system workbook, and our resident
aerodynamist, Steve Crow, sez a good rule of thumb is a square
foot of radiator face per 100HP. (The radiator the Swing's used had
about a square foot of area, but their cooling problems weren't as
great as the rule of thumb would indicate.)

If you use a streamline diffuser, the leading diffuser length is only
about 3X the height of the radiator, but for the radiator area needed,
I have a feeling a P51 style scoop is the only option. (Since water
cooled engines run at lower temperatures, they need more airflow
for cooling than an equal HP Lycosaurus.)

For those that are planning on a SVX in your Velocity, send a
message to AirSIG@cyberlynk.com (Garfield Willis) about joining
AirSIG. We've been working a lot on cooling system problems and
have an extensive set of information on using Soobs in aircraft.

---
David Parrish