Re: REFLECTOR: Triax

At 08:47 PM 1/9/99 -0500, Alan Shaw wrote:
>> > Benjamin David Cowan wrote:
>> >
>> >   Does the major axis side of the triax need to be facing the
>> > bulkheads??
>
>Yes, because it takes the bend better that way.  If you ask the thick uni to
>make the sharper inside part of the bend it is not only harder to make it
>stay put, the fibers will bend sideways making the structure a little
>weaker.If you do it the other way it is no big deal though because these
>areas are over built and resin rich.  Wear long dish gloves and leave plenty
>of time to keep coming back and pushing it back in the corners as it starts
>to gel.

Alan, I think he was asking about skinning the bulkheads as opposed to
tying the firewall and gear bulkheads together. Just so there is no confusion.

Both Carl and Alan are right. Major axis fibres face out on bulkheads
skinning and they face in while doing the inside layups between the
firewall and gear
bulkheads.

Another tip while skinning your bulkheads as well as ducts. Read ahead
through the manual and see where additional layups are done on these
bulkheads/duct. Mark them on a figure on a piece of paper. When you do the
bulkhead skinning, peel-ply those places where additional layups are going
to come in later. Will make future layups much more easier and avoids
sanding into the skin fibres. Some may have peel plied the entire bulkhead
surfaces.

Venky