REFLECTOR: Torque Tube aileron mechanism

With all of the mail that subject  has generated how about looking at the
design. As I see it (most of it is here on my desk) here's what makes up the
control for ailerons and elevators.
The aileron torque tubes are made out of  two seamless aluminum tubes which
are.750 OD and have a .058 Wall. The forward end of this  tube has inserted
into it,a 14" X .500 OD steel pipe(probably 4130 tubing) which is  inserted
into the aluminum tube.  One inch of the  pipe is exposed at the end.
It is the exposed end of the steel tube that is  inserted into the now
famous bearing. This means that after going into the bearing you will still
have approximately 1/2 " extending past or forward of the bearing. At this
point, where the steel pipe extends past the bearing,they have put a 1/2"
long piece of pipe (collar) that fits over the other .Both pieces are
drilled and a bolt and lock nut  are used to secure them. It appears to me
that at this point ,the design of it is to hold the aileron torque tube in
place therefor stopping any   movement   forward or aft. The TUBE IS
DESIGNED TO ROTATE ONLY. .At a point 11" aft of this collar,a hole is
drilled through both the pipe and tube, and an  oilite bushing is inserted
for the hold down bolt on the control stick'. The bushing serves another
function in that it retains the steel tube that is in the center of the
larger aluminum tube.
The aft end of the tube has the aileron bellcrank, which I believe(don't
have it here), is constructed with the same size steel tubing that goes into
the forward bearing. If memory serves me correctly the bellcrank is put
through a bearing , then into the tube a specified distance ,then drilled
for a bolt which secures the bellcrank to the tube. There is also one more
bearing that is located in the keel probably midpoint between the other two
. Again this bearing nor the one at the bellcrank restrict any movement fore
or aft. That is done at the front .
That's about it for the layout and design of the aileron and elevator
control.
I would hope that the factory will jump in one of these days with a comment,
everybody else has.
FWIW. A new way to retain that front bearing is probably  in order. Some of
the ideas already put out I'm sure will work.
 I do think it would also be a good idea to check how rigid the front
bearing bracket is when it is subjected to load.
If your installation is complete, by reversing that front bearing flange,it
will probably make a small change in the clearance requirements at  the
aileron bellcrank, but have no idea if it would be critical.
Sorry no pictures ,but hope those of you that don't have this setup,might
have a better understanding of it.
 Jack Hayes