RE: REFLECTOR: front control bearing

> From: owner-reflector@awpi.com [mailto:owner-reflector@awpi.com]On
> Behalf Of Al Gietzen
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: front control bearing
>
> How?  There is no axial load on this bearing unless there is load on the
> stick. The bearing at the rear can slide on the bellcrank tube.   (Looking
> at the Elite keel).

The axial load occurs anytime you're pulling on the stick trying to hold the
nose up. As long as the bearing stays in place, the stick / aileron torque
tube bolt is the pivot point for the force on the elevator push-pull tube.
If the bearing comes out of the bracket, the entire torque tube can slide
backwards, as the stick / push-pull tube bolt becomes the pivot.

I just went and looked at my control linkage (easy to do when the plane is
still in the garage), and noticed that the bearing fits into the bracket
from the rear. I wonder if it would be better to reverse that? This would
put the bearing flange on the front side, and prevent torque tube slippage
even if the two bolts holding the bearing in place were to somehow come
loose. (I presume that or the whole bracket coming loose is what happened in
Simon's case.) Or is there some subtle reason for having the bearing
inserted from the rear of the bracket?

 - Chuck