[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]


This email came from Simon, but was bounced because Majordomo didn't
have him in its list.

For those of you that don't know; this is Simon's first major cross
country in his spanking new Velocity.  Boy am I jealous.  I asked
him if he wanted to trade planes with me, but he declined.  I'd
give anything to have the problems he's having now.

Forwarded message:
> Sender: "Simon Aegerter [KPIE]" <100256.3710@compuserve.com>
> To: Blind.Copy.Receiver@compuserve.com
> Message-ID: <199812282106_MC2-64E4-C938@compuserve.com>
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> Content-Disposition: inline
> No, litterally!
> Our son Chris is to take up a job at UCSD in La Jolla, CA at the beginning of
> the coming year. Wife Irene had the idea that we shouldn't just send him there,
> we should BRING him. It took the better part of a microsecond to convince me.
> So, yesterday morning we took off from PIE after we had converted 466MF into a
> three seater with lots of luggage space. The weatherman (actually 't was a
> weatherwomen) at the PIE FSS promised a boring ride with not a cloud. She was
> right: not a cloud ABOVE us - after we had climbed through the layer of haze at
> 800 ft. (I call it haze for legal reasons <g>) The haze turned into a solid
> undercast that remained with us for hours. We got slightly nervous and listened
> to Flight Watch. Now we were no longer nervous. We got scared. All the reports
> said something like "200 ft overcast, 1-1/4 mile visibility" for the airports
> along the FL panhandle and into Alabama. I'm IFR certified, but not for cat 2
> approaches. Finally we heard that New Orleans was clear. Sigh!
> Other than that it was a very pleasurable ride. Smooth and fast. Up to 40 kt
> headwinds towards the last third of the trip. 4-1/2 hrs in the air took us to
> Batton Rouge. We re- and defuelled and had a bite and we were on our way to
> Austin TX. Same story, just worse: smooth above the undercast and this time it
> was THICK. We had to climb to 10500 to stay out of it. We did talk to Huston
> although we were above their airspace. Doesn't it make you feel like the right
> stuff to calmly utter "Roger that, Huston".
> Well, they made me feel a little different. The dialouge went something like
> this: 
> "Huston, Experimental Velocity 466MF 38 northeast 1-0-thousand 500."
> "6MF, 38 NE o'what?"
> "38 NE of Huston"
> "Sir, Huston is about 600 square miles big."
> "OK, 38 NE of the ahh George errr W. uhhh Bush airport".
> "Now, that gives us a picture of where about you are".
> Of course, the really good answer came to me after we were on the ground.
> Shouldn't I have said: "Huston, o'what part of my aircraft would you like to
> have the position?" Texas style - no?
> Fittingly, Austin was severe clear and we got on the ground without further
> problems. 
> Juanita Londenberg, Brian Michalks mom met us at the FBO and showed us their
> Velocity project. Very impressive workmanship! Very clean and precise. Then we
> got together with Brian and had a great plate of Fajitas.
> On the way to Batton Rouge I had felt the throttle cable a bit hard to work. I
> thought it got worse on the Austin leg. I had a suspicion. On the climbout from
> St. Pete (heavy and wanting to get out of the "haze" in a hurry, I had a brief
> overheating episode (well, the engine really). I knew from previous experience
> that the these cables can get soft and tend to freeze in the steel cable when
> they cool. So in the morning we took the protective firesleeve off and there it
> was: the housing had melted near the area of the exhaust pipe. 
> Tough decision: The cable was still working, but it sure didn't look good. So I
> remembered the priciple: "If it doesnt look, feel or smell right, don't fly!"
> OK, we need a new throttle cable. I know where I can get one of those in St.
> Pete. But Austin? 
> Folks, the greatest thing on earth is the solidarity of the Velocity Family.
> Brian walked out from his job, drove me to a marine store and believe it or
> not: they had the right length! Would you believe I got two of them.
> In the meantime, Chris had everything prepared and we changes the cables with
> no problems. (Good idea to have your own tools with you). Four hours after the
> discovery of the problem we were in the air. Thanks a bunch, Brian. You saved
> our day!
> We didn't make it very far today. The delay that was caused by changing the
> throttle cable got us into the late afternoon bumps over eastern Texas; Irene
> really disliked that. Besides, we had headwinds even stronger than yesterday:
> at one point we saw 55kts! So, we are in Midland now. Took us a full two hours!
> This is the narrative format. I have a couple of technical things to convey.
> Guess I'll do that when I'm back in FL. Hope to be able to tell you more about
> a great flight tomorrow. 
> You builders out there: keep the nose to the grindstone! It's worth every
> minute and every drop of sweat!
> Best
> Simon

Brian Michalk  <http://www.awpi.com/michalk>
Life is what you make of it ... never wish you had done something.
Aviator, experimental aircraft builder, motorcyclist, SCUBA diver
musician, home-brewer, entrepenuer and SINGLE!