Re: REFLECTOR: Elite Doors?

When I first fit my doors I made my cut on the outside of the lines marked
on the door at the factory.  But recently I cut them off as short as
possible.  Now my hinges almost butt up against the inner door stiffener.
For the past several months I had been fighting with my doors, trying
different fixes to keep them from buldging out at the upper aft corner
where the lifters attached to the door.  Nate Calvin's modification helped,
but my doors still bulged out when they were closed and "kicked back" when
I released the latch.  I finally came to realize that my hinge tabs were
too long.  They provided a lever between the hinge pivot point (the hinge
pin) and the bracket on the door where the gas lifter attached.  By
shortening the tab I reduced the leverage and now the door fits nice and
flush.

I also glassed the hinges onto the door permanently.  Now I just have to
figure out a fix where the hinge on the door interfeers with the weather
stripping.

BTW, Nate's set up works great now and he's a nice guy to deal with!

Denis Miller
173E FG

> From: Schweitzer, Bill <bill.schweitzer@compaq.com>
> To: 'Velocity Reflector' <reflector@awpi.com>
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Elite Doors?
> Date: Wednesday, November 18, 1998 12:10 PM
>
> I'm just sanding my doors down to the inside stiffener in preparation for
> fitting them to the fuselage.
> I've got a couple of questions that I have not seen mentioned on the
> reflector before.  If you have already successfully mounted your doors
I'd