Re: REFLECTOR: Fuel Tanks

Dean Norris wrote:

> Have not closed strakes or tested gear.
> Date sent:              Fri, 06 Nov 1998 21:18:29 -0500
> From:                   Carl Hoffman <hoffman3@erols.com>
> Send reply to:          hoffman3@erols.com
> To:                     Dean Norris <deann@calendarclub.com>
> Subject:                Re: REFLECTOR: Fuel Tanks
>
> > Dean Norris wrote:
> > >
> > > The Whelen power supply, is it mounted on the flange inside and
> > > did you drill holes or fiberglass tabs to attach?
> > > Date sent:              Fri, 06 Nov 1998 17:10:03 -0500
> > > From:                   Carl Hoffman <hoffman3@erols.com>
> > > Send reply to:          hoffman3@erols.com
> > > To:                     reflector@awpi.com, Dean Norris <deann@calendarclub.com>
> > > Subject:                Re: REFLECTOR: Fuel Tanks

> > I dilled holes (thru engine bulkhead), and used 10/32 screws, washers,
> > and lock nuts. The same were used to mount the sump tank.
> >
> > By the way, the saddles extend about 1" lower than the carry thru spar.
> > The 3/8"
> > fuel lines go around the legs just below the spar.
> >
> > Have you completed your strakes and tested the gear retraction?
> >
> > Carl Hoffman

I finished the strakes and tested the tanks and gear before hooking up
any rubber hose lines. My 3/8" lines come through the fuseloge right
next to the gear bulkhead. They change to hose before making the first
turn. My vent manifold is four inches above the spar. Two vent hoses
comes down in front of the spar, the first one goes to the sump vent,
the second in front of the sump tank to the vent on the bottom of the
fuseloge 1" in front of the engine bulkhead. It sticks thru about an
inch and has a 45 degree cut off.

Testing the tanks is the fun part. You get some bolloons and bubble
solution from Toys R Us.

Also there will be alot of work adjusting the turnbuckels on the gear
cable linkage to get the gears to fully and evenly retracted. Remember
you want the gear to stop when the ram bottoms out on the stop, not when
one or both of the tires use the stakes as a stop. When fully retracted
you must be able to turn both tires with you hand. At this point the
overcenter linkage will not be straight up and down, but will lean to
the copilot side, and will need an additional spring from Home Depot to
help it move in that direction.

Boy, a simple question can turn into several epistles.

Carl Hoffman