Re: REFLECTOR: Ground Engine Run-up

In a message dated 11/2/98 5:17:07 PM Pacific Standard Time,
eungkim@kari.re.kr writes:

<<
 I'm going to install Lycoming IO-360 to my 173 this year.
 This engine is newly overhauled.

 The operating manual says : 'Ground run it for an hour or so at low to
 medium power.'

Besides checking for leaks, noises, and RPM capabilities, the main reason for
LENGTHY ground running in any sequence is to properly break in the compression
rings to cylinder walls.

The best thing to do is to talk to the shop that did the actual cylinder work
on your engine, and do as they suggest.  This could be a different shop than
did the actual overhaul of the engine.  Depending on the type of cylinder wall
process yours have, could make a difference on ground run procedures.  If no
run time has been performed on the engine at all, you may want to find a shop
to put the engine on a test stand with a test club to do a proper run-in.  It
is hard to impossible to do in a Velocity and keep CHT's out of the red even
with a test club because we have little cooling on the ground, especially at
higher powers.  Granted this will cost a little, but it is comforting to know
that the rings are seated, and the CHT have already stabilized so you can
spend time doing the proper ground testing involving the Airframe and Yourself
as needed before first flight, and not worrying about the engine.