Re: REFLECTOR: Pictures of the air intake on my bird

From:           	"Bob Kuc" <kucb@ix.netcom.com>

> Think of a straw attached to the side of the plane.   Wind will go through
> that with very little drag.  Put in a flap with an actuator.  I would think
> that if you put in a temp probe in  the plenum at the hottest point, and
> attach this to a microprocessor.  At a certain temp rang, have a servo open

For aerodynamic reasons, it's better to have the flap on the outlet
side than the inlet side, since you want as smooth as possible
airflow on the inlet without all the distubances that just about any
flap arrangement would produce.

Tony Bengellis suggested having a variable outlet flap controlled by
the thermostat from a VW beetle, though I've heard the P-51 had
both manual and thermostatic control of it's flap, and pilots
routinely used only the manual system.

The best way is to have the cooling inlets just big enough for good
enough cooling under worst case conditions. (Deciding what is
your worst case is the fun part.) That reduces the frontal drag.
Then, when you don't need that much cooling, use an outlet flap to
reduce flow through the system. (Reducing drag by reducing
internal flow losses.)

---
David Parrish