Fwd: REFLECTOR: Re: Oil temp./press.

the reason the oil flows into the engine if the pressure drops is to
cool the engine.  Oil sprayed into the clylinders is for cooling and
lubrication.   The oil cooler reduces the flow and at less pressure it
reduces it even more.

marion sparrow

---- Begin included message ----
> >When oil pressure is low, all of the oil is sent to the engine
> >and none goes through the cooler
>
> THAT makes no sense at all. If that were true, oil cooling would take place
> only while the oil is still cold. As soon as it gets warm and liquid, the

You are right.  It doesn't.  I was seeing it in my minds eye, and now what
Charlie hart was saying doesn't make sense.  A picture is worth 1,000
words, so here is my current interpretation of how oil squirts through
the engine:

http://www.awpi.com/michalk/pics/oilbypass.gif

Let me know if this is how you think the darn thing works.

> That's it! There is a THIRD way by which the oil can escape! The proof that
> this IS the problem? When I got the engine I removed that oil line to the
> fuel pump because it looked like it came from a russian tractor that had
> stood in a corner of a kolkhos for 25 years and replaced it with a nice
> airquip line. While the fittings were fitting <g>, I did not pay attention
> to the inner diameter. I have most probably removed some of the restriction
> in that line by inadvertently installing a larger i.d.  line. That could be
> the reason why I am experiencing more problems than others.

I would not think that they would engineer a specific hose ID just
to make the system work right.  Remember, you were telling me ... or
perhaps it was Rick Lavoie who also went through all of this.  Someone
said, "Look here, two engines, exact in every configuration except
one has oil problems and one doesn't".  I think it's where their
tolerances on the fuel pump didn't quite work out.  If things
in there are pretty close already, then normal machining errors
would cause this problem to pop up once in a while.  Perhaps they
are drilling the galleys oversize now, thus making for narrower
margins?

> Brian: can you somehow determine the i.d. of that original line?

Not directly.  I have some more faxes to PZL though.  Perhaps Alan
Lundeen can determine this.  I don't think this is the culprit
though.

> I am a little reluctant to cut that oil flow completley as you suggest,
> Brian, but when I get back to FL in December I might install some kind of
> adjustable restriction to see what changes. I think this line needs very
> little oil flow, while I probably now have a humonguous throughput. The
> fact that the main pressure drop happens in the pump drive rather than
> before it isn't good for the pump either, I think.

As I was told by Charlie, that oil is only for the pump.  I am not
suggesting that you go fly without lubrication on your pump.  I
think you should bring your engine up to running temps and note
the oil pressure.  Shut it off.  Cap your pump, and the oil hose
that went to it.  Start the motor, and see if there is any difference.
I wouldn't run for more than a few seconds though.  Don't
want to gall that cam in the pump housing.

I'm going to draw another picture on what I am thinking on the
oil pump.

--
Brian Michalk  <http://www.awpi.com/michalk>
musician, home-brewer, entrepenuer and SINGLE!

Simon Aegerter, Winterthur, Switzerland

---- End included message ----