Re: REFLECTOR: Wiring to the top door (classic)

Venky's Velocity Hangar wrote:

> The description of the Grand Champion Long-EZ in Sport Aviation is very
> inspiring. That to me is the epitomy of experimental aviation and
> homebuilding.
>
> Anyway, do people have suggestions/thoughts on how to get electrical wires
> into the door of a Classic (top door, clam shell, whatever you want to call
> it) in a reliable and non-obtrusive way. The two possibilities I can think
> of are (1) Next to the hinges with the wires glued down except for a tiny
> bit at the pivot points OR (2) an arrangement at the top front of the door
> where in addition to an extra latch is a quick disconnect for the
> electrical system possibly tied to the latch movement itself for
> connect/disconnect. The latter seems the cleanest but I am not sure how to
> make it last through millions of door openings and closings. Any design
> ideas, part recommendations, etc.?
>
> Thanks

Except for the "quick disconnect", isn't this the way millions of
automobles with power door locks, power windows, etc., have done for
many years? KISS?

You could put a little cover over the wiring to make it "non-obtrusive",
at the hinge line, disconnect or not, and bury the rest of the wiring in
the foam to make it nonintrusive.

Don't put a "quick disconnect" at the latch point for
"connect/disconnect". Use a Waldom "molex" connector at the hinge line.

Carl Hoffman

PS. The hinge line is a line drawn between two or more hinge "pivot
points".