Re: REFLECTOR: Interior Fire-Proofing & Coverings

Joe Stack wrote:

> I've been ruminating over when the best time might be to apply the interior
> fire proofing compound (as it says in the catalog, "Recommended by Rutan
> for EZy's, by Swings for Velocitys").  When you apply it earlier, you don't
> need to work around as much of the stuff you've been so carefully adding to
> the interior (e.g., break & gear hydraulics, switches, etc.).  On the other
> hand, if you wait until later in the process, you need to work around all of that
> stuff but you don't need to worry about grinding it away every time you want
> to add an unplanned piece of glass.
>
> The same question applies to the gray speckle paint (that looks so great in
> the nose of the factory XL).  For some reason I can't imagine removing
> everything forward of the canard bulkhead, once it's installed, just to apply
> this stuff.  ....In terms of the finished presentation, it seems that Dave Black's
> nosewheel box would also look better from the outside (as well as serving
> other practical purposes).
>
> All that having been said; I'd rather not find myself waiting until it becomes too
> much of a pain to apply it, and then just saying: "to hell with it".
>
> So, I could use some thoughts and strategies from some of you folks who
> have already finished your interior work (or you chess players who are good
> at thinking 1000 moves ahead).
>
> Tx,
>
> Joe Stack
> N983SC - XLRG
Boy, I hope I don't put my foot in my mouth again. I'm just GUESSING,
the "Fireproof Flame Control Coating" was intended for engine side of
the fire wall. There is also a "Nomex/Stainless Firewall". The
later isn't recommended by Rutan". Isn't it required by Canadian built
Velocitys? Do we need one or both? If one goes inside, we need both. If
both, then all the way to the Canard Bulkhead?

Carl Hoffman
PS, I'm only 1 move ahead, Ordering one or both of the above and the
"Engine Installation Package". I have the SKY-TEC starter and an engine
on order from New Aviation, Inc. How is this all going to affect W&B?