Re: REFLECTOR: Nose gear guide

Al,
In one of my early flights I did a touch and go (in this case more of a
bounce and go) and my nose wheel turned sideways (I even have it on
video tape) unbeknownst to me.  Since I was doing touch and goes I did
not retract the gear.  The next landing was very interesting (also on
video tape).  The gear came down, then bounced me up and the wheel spun
around several times, straightening out when it finally came in contact
with the runway the last time.  Thank goodness I did not try to retract
it.  I suspect it would have done damage to the gear door lip before the
hydraulic pump stalled.  I did have to replace the front fork which bent
enough to touch the tire.  Since then I have always done a short roll on
the nose wheel when doing touch and goes to ensure the wheel is
straight.  The reason I was doing touch and goes, was to find the right
tension on the nose pivot.  I finally came to the conclusion the 15 lbs
indicated in the manual was too much and caused me to use my brakes
excessivly.  Having reduced the tension, I then installed a guide made
from hardware store aluminum that works great. It also gave me a place
to relocate the sequence valve that is dead simple and it works great
too, with absolutely no slamming of the doors since the valve is opened
prior to the main gear being all the way up.

>From: "Al Gietzen" <alventures@email.msn.com>
>To: "reflector" <reflector@awpi.com>
>Subject: REFLECTOR: Nose gear guide
>Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 21:44:48 -0700
>
>Just wondered if I was missing something here.  I see the "Nose Gear
Guide"
>as a KPC in the latest Velocity Views. With the nose wheel pivot drag
>adjusted according to spec, I'm guessing it would take about a 3 G
direct
>side load to change the orientation of the wheel in the well. No way to
get
>anything approaching that; short of (sorry) crashing.
>
>I ran a few test cycles retracting the gear with the wheel slightly
turned.
>Dragging on the side of  the door opening straightened it going in.
Found