Re: REFLECTOR: Nose gear guide

Al Gietzen wrote:

> Just wondered if I was missing something here.  I see the "Nose Gear Guide"
> as a KPC in the latest Velocity Views. With the nose wheel pivot drag
> adjusted according to spec, I'm guessing it would take about a 3 G direct
> side load to change the orientation of the wheel in the well. No way to get
> anything approaching that; short of (sorry) crashing.
>
> I ran a few test cycles retracting the gear with the wheel slightly turned.
> Dragging on the side of  the door opening straightened it going in.  Found
> no problem subsequently extending the gear.

Although my RG has not yet flown, I installed guides as an ounce of
prevention. The side load requirement will vary with the pivot drag, as you
suggest. Trouble is, in the real world, not all pivots will always be adjusted
properly. And there is at least one additional failure mode: a shimmying
nosewheel.

Although extremely rare, there are probably other ways the wheel could be
turned during flight. We've identified two, but there could be more. The point
is, IF the nosewheel ever becomes turned while retracted, there is simply no
way the pilot can get the nose gear to lower.

> We know of at least one nose gear up landing where the guide was a
> contributing factor.

I have not heard of this. Can you give details?

Dave Black
SW RG Classic (TopDoor)