REFLECTOR: Engine & Instrument Choices

(1) Building an XL-RG; any comparisons of engine choices (i.e. - manufacturer,
designation, horsepower, cruise speed, approximate costs for new, mid time and
run out) would be appreciated.

(2) I have seen the factory estimated prices to build a XL-RG with instruments
for moderate IFR with no glass panel approximately $25k. There have been
recent articles in Kitplanes where the authors indicated $25-30k for engine
and moderate IFR instruments. Is that possible? Used Instruments? Any
suggestions for most cost effective route. As a side note I do not plan on
wiring the avionics myself, but will contract with Martin. Thanks for any
replys in advance. Chris Brock