RE: REFLECTOR: Pitot / static accuracy

Dear Andy:
   The original reason for the small "bump" on the area just in front of
the static ports was to trip the air flow and thus prevent a false
indication on the low side.  The static ports are on the fuselage taper
and will slightly pressurize under certain conditions, the trip strip
will prevent this.  The thickness of this strip can be changed to give
the correct reading.  It will also prevent icing on the static port,
however, if you have icing this far back on the fuselage, you are in
real trouble.
   Sincerely,  Duane Swing