Re: REFLECTOR: Attaching Winglets.

 Since the chord line of an airfoil is the basic reference for all
calculations, and the tip IS an airfoil, then doesn't it follow that you
measure from the TE and from the center of the LE of the airfoil at the
intersection of the wing chord plane with the tip chord plane?
At least, that's the way I did it.

Lloyd Garner  173RGE - Retired Fighter Design Engineer

On Sat, 26 Sep 1998 14:45:08 -0700 A Gibbons <agibbons@ptw.com> writes:

>Hi.
>
>We're ready to attach the winglets on our XL with the 173 wing. The
>builder's manual has a measurment to the front end of the wing and the
>back
>end of the wing, from the wing attach bolt holes. There is a
>difference of
>10" (greater in the back of the wing). The manual says that when the
>winglet is placed at the end of the wing the front leading edge the
>shorter
>of the two measurements is to the forward leading edge of the winglet.
>
>Our question is this:
>  What defines the forward leading edge measurement on the winglet
>forward
>tip:
>    To the center of the leading edge, or to the most inside part of
>the
>forward tip?
>
>Thanks,
>Allison and Barry Gibbons

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]