REFLECTOR: Power supply recommendation

Does someone have a recommendation for an inexpensive but GOOD power supply
to use in lieu of the battery during construction? What do panel builders
use? What ratings/specifications should I be looking for?

Essentially, I will be attaching the wire that goes to the battery to the
power supply until the very end so it must be able to power everything the
battery is going to be used for but without running out of juice by being
connected to the AC power supply. Something with surge protection built-in
would be nice. A built-in voltmeter/ammeter would be nice but not essential.

Thanks

Venky