Re: REFLECTOR: Canard Well

James F. Agnew wrote:

> Alan Shaw wrote:
> >
> > Rene' Dugas wrote:
> >
> > > Dear Folks,
> > > What is the deal with the canard well?  I'm attaching the elevators
> > > now(actually yesterday).  Why would we want a well at all?  Why not a
> > > glass shelf to cover the big well constructed to not interfere with the
> > > hinges of course?  If not fiberglass the flexible teflon sheating
> > > reinforced to prevent air flow into the well.
> >
> > You are describing the gap seal again.  I thought I put that to bed when I
> > explained that's how we got the test plane to deep stall  TOO EASY.
> >
> > >  Do we not aspire to
> > > laminar flow here too?
> >
> > That's always gone after the widest point anyway.
> >
> > >   I do not understand why we want air to go into
> > > this well.  HELP me aerodynamically.
> >
> > When we slow down and put the elevator down then air goes through the gap
> > and over the top of the elevators providing the type of lift and pitch
> > control that we need.
> >
> > >   I potted my elevators a tad too deep so i'll be
> > > sanding off part of my top overlap
> >
> > If you cut that any more your gap may become to big at neutral.
> >
> > > I'm also planning a fuel cut off valve (on and OFF) near the pilot from
> > > the sump to valve to gascolator on firewall.  Any suggestions.
> >
> > Yes, don't bother.   Fuel shut off valves are for problems with fires when
> > your engine is on the front.  With a rear engine problems associated with
> > all that extra plumbing or the valve or the people using the valve (and the
> > airplane) are far far more likely to get you hurt than by not having a shut
> > of at all.  Planes frequently crash because the fuel valve is in the wrong
> > position...if there is not one then it is always in the "right" position.
> >
> > This seems to be another thing like the human appendix that airplanes have
> > picked up.  It might just get infected some day an need some fast hot cajun
> > surgery.   The Velocity has it's own special "appendix".....that is
> > something it was born with, that does it no good, but can cause a lot of
> > problems especially when your bird first gets kicked out of the nest.
> > Any guesses as to what it is?
> >
> > Alan Shaw
>
> Alan, I don't know how I can have the valve in the wrong position, its
> on or off.  If the valve is off the engine isn't running.  To shut it
> off you must first raise the switch protector cover and then throw the
> switch which then turns on a red flashing light to let you know that you
> just shut off your fuel.  If you have an engine fire there is no was to
> stop the windmilling prop from continuing to pump fuel into the engine
> compartment.  With the Franklin it is worse since the carb is so low
> that the fuel will just run out by gravity.
>
> Jim
> --
> // James F. Agnew
> // Tampa, FL
> [...]

Boy! I'm beginning to get confused by all this. If I have an electrical
failure, how does the electric shuttle valve work to turn off the fuel?

Also, I was taught to turn off the master and the mechanical fuel valve
to "OFF", and unlatch the door just before "splash down" (front
engine of course). Why did a French man name Berlot have to change
every thing 90 years ago?

Carl Hoffman