Re: REFLECTOR: Canard Well (FUEL SHUT OFF VALVE)

Rene' Dugas wrote:

> Dear Folks,
> What is the deal with the canard well?  I'm attaching the elevators
> now(actually yesterday).  Why would we want a well at all?  Why not a
> glass shelf to cover the big well constructed to not interfere with the
> hinges of course?  If not fiberglass the flexible teflon sheating
> reinforced to prevent air flow into the well.  Do we not aspire to
> laminar flow here too?   I do not understand why we want air to go into
> this well.  HELP me aerodynamically.  Two layers of fine BID would be
> flexible and allow upward mobility of the elevators and not interfer
> with lower air flow.  I potted my elevators a tad too deep so i'll be
> sanding off part of my top overlap to get upward travel anyway so I'm
> hip deep in this area anyway.
>
> I'm also planning a fuel cut off valve (on and OFF) near the pilot from
> the sump to valve to gascolator on firewall.  Any suggestions.
>
> Help appreciated.
>
> Rene' Dugas
> Cajun Surgeon

Rene', following is a note that I posted a while ago about a fuel shut
off valve that you might find meets your needs.

Jim

###

I know that a lot of you have expressed interest in a fuel shut offvalve
and that there were no viable valves available.

I've found one, it is an electric motor driven shuttle valve that only
requires power during the transfer and will remain in the last position
even without electric power.  It is made by Pollak Electric Controls in
Boston, MA. ((617) 282-9550) as model 42-151.  It has a fiberglass
reinforced nylon body, stainless steel shafts, and waterproof
connectors.  In addition it has a SPDT switch that can be used to drive
an indicator light to show position or to shift a gas gauge from one
tank to another.

This valve is a 3-Port valve (really 6), it has two 3/8" inputs and one
3/8" output.  In addition it has the same setup except with 5/16" ports
designed for the fuel return lines from fuel injection engines if
required.  It is designed to allow switching between two tanks in
trucks, RVs, etc. and will handle gas or diesel.  The 5/16" ports are
capped with rubber stoppers that can be removed if you like to use the
5/16" side as well.  The valve is rated for a maximum operating pressure
of 65 PSI.  Operating temperature range is -40F to +180F.  It comes
complete with a heavy duty switch and the sealed connector.  It has a
built in mount, however, for aircraft use I would suggest you add a
fiberglass/foam support under the valve body for extra vibration
support.  it should be mounted horizontally with the fuel filter BEFORE
the input port and probably best on the suction side of the system.  I
would not suggest mounting it on the engine side of the firewall.

You could use this valve to switch between two tanks, by sealing one
input port to act as a shut off valve or by using the output port as an
input you could have a "to engine & a siphon point for the tanks"
(blocked off for normal use as a shut off valve).

This valve is listed in the J. C. Whitney catalogue ( (312) 431-6102 )
as a "fuel tank selector valve" part # 81VN2687U for $56.95.

Jim
--
// James F. Agnew