REFLECTOR: StrikeFinder Sensor in Canard

Bon Jour, Velocitites,
  --  bad english translation by Jeff Barnes on
  --  behalf of Jean Prudhomme <jeanprud@icanect.net>

After continual static pickup problems with my StrkeFinder, I thought
I'd find a better place for the Sensor.  I'm running a single Lightspeed
Engineering Electronic Igition and have tried the usual in-fuselage
locations.

Using a longer temporary cable, I tried various spots around my
airplane: 2 were good, the strake-end or the canard-end.  I chose the
canard to avoid potential conflict with my Nav/Com antenna/cables at the
strake end.  Before you follow my lead, PLEASE do your own testing to
insure this spot is as good on your plane as it is on mine.

Here's how I did it: refer to sketchs at
 http://www.awpi.com/michalk/pics/strike1.jpg  and
 http://www.awpi.com/michalk/pics/strike2.jpg

I first made an access hole in the middle of the canard at the leading
edge where my cable is going to run.

With a long drill made by grinding a drill point onto a long threaded
3/8 " rod, I drilled in from the canard tip, making a hole between the
foam and leading edge skin to my mid-canard access hole.  Clear with air
as you go. Use great care not to damage the inside of the leading edge
skin.

I located the sensor approx 6" inboard of the tip: on a 173 or XL this
location is all foam and no spar.  On a STD you'd have to be a safe
distance in front of the spar, but close enuf to get the depth you need.

Make a mounting plate from 3/32 alu sheet, drill/tap holes for the
sensor mounting bolts AND an attach-point for an additional 16ga GROUND
wire for the mounting plate.  This plate will also serve as your
"radiant shield", but only needs to be about the size of the sensor
back, since it is now far removed from potential inteference sources.

Make another hole thru the canard bottom: deep enough to hold the sensor
with room to spare to re-cover the skin without leaving a bulge, long
enough for the sensor, and wide enough for plumbing behind the sensor.

DO NOT cut out all the foam to match your skin cut: you'll need foam
upon which to put the mounting plate and have room above it for a near
90 degree bend for the cable connection. I altered the factory connector
to make this bend instead of buying a different connector.  Just be REAL
careful that your cable leads cannot slip off the sensor (which they
do), making this entire project a waste of time.