Air Filter

Many people seem not to use air filter for their engine.
Don't we have to worry about dusts or tiny rocks that goes into the engine
intake?

I saw the article about installing a real air filter in the recent Velocity
Views (vol15).
I think it's a good idea to put the air filter in the wing, but it requires
some works and the strength of the wing would be reduced even in small
amounts.

Does anyone know other easier ways to put the air filter?
It will be perfect if we can find small air filter that fits in the cowling.

I'm building 173 FGE and have Lycoming IO-360.

Eung Tai Kim
Aircraft Division
Korea Aerospace Research Institute
Yoo-Sung P.O.Box 113
Taejon, 305-600, South Korea
Phone) 82-42-860-2345                  Fax) 82-42-860-2006