Re: Halon

>Oh Gawd!!! We wouldn't want to have another sunburned penquin on our souls
>would we?

Unfortunately, Dale, it ain't so harmless. How about some cancerous Aussies
to begin with? I wish it wern't true, because, as you see from my other
posts, I love halon as a fire extinguisher.

>Would someone be kind enough to explain to me how something heavier than air,
>such as Freon or Halon can get up to the level of the ozone layer to deplete
>it?

Easy: for the same reason water vapor (molecular weight 18) doesn't all
stay at the surface of the earth, but is part of the mixture of Oxygen (mw
32) and nitrogen (mw28) and carbon dioxide (mw 44). Small- and large scale
turbulence mixes the stuff to the molecule level and at that level, the
rate of descent due to weight is so small that it is irrelevant compared to
the vertival movement of the air masses.

>We might have better luck getting the government to legislate natural
>phenomenon like volcanic activity which certainly puts natural fluorocarbons
>way up high.

Nope, hardly any halocarbons, just halogens. But they have a hard time to
make it up there for chemical reasons. (See what Don Royer sais).

>Somebody stop this government before we can't fly our pride and joys.

You can blame the government (any government!) for a lot of things, but
hardly for facts <g>.

Best
Simon

Simon Aegerter, Winterthur, Switzerland