Re: Hugh Hyde

  I'm sorry to hear about Hugh's accident. I remember his articles in VV- he
seems like a nice guy. I hope he recovers quickly and completely.
  The smoke hoods can be bought from Sporty's and A/S. I figured it might be
a good thing to carry on when you're flying commercial as well. I don't know
what the current flammability standards are but a lot of injuries/fatalities
have occured due to smoke before people can get out rather than actual fire
exposure. Downside is they're $70 with a 5 year shelf life.
  The Herrington catalog sells a "Life Hammer" escape tool. I installed it
in the Chipmunk. It's lightweight and has hardened points for breaking glass
and plexi. There is also a shielded razor blade for cutting seatbelts. Comes
with a bracket. It's a standard rescue tool used by EMT's, etc. I haven't
cracked any windshields yet but it did work very well on scrap windows.
You'd probably get a better price at a fire equipment/ EMT supplier.
  Jim's advice on the tool is good- I've been out of the biz for a few years
and I forgot most of what I knew but there were several pocket tools
available for breaking and entering which could help you get out in a hurry.
There are probably newer ones now- you could check with your local fire dept
for sources and suggestions.
  I also carry a 2.5# Halon extinguisher in each cockpit. Don't mess with
drychem- I used them as a firefighter and they wouldn't be good for you or
the plane. Vibration compacts the powder as well.   -Bill

prototype Super Chipmunk N18EF
Velocity Classic RG N6098S in the works