Re: Hugh Hyde

James F. Agnew wrote:

>>Snip<<
  If you
> ever get smoke in the cockpit you could quickly ventilate it via a few
> pick holes in the door, roof or side windows.
>
> Jim
> --

 Thank Martin for the update.  May Hugh receive more blessings in his
recovery ! And thanks for the tip on the fireman's ax Jim.

 I'll be throwing some $$$ into a small fire extinguisher for cockpit,
maybe a co2 bazooka for engine compartment (to be used after cutting off
fuel and electricity), and investigating the fire-alarm system like
Michael MTSP@aol.com has (see post dated 5/7/98).  Sorry Mike, I never
got your last name!

 Also going to be looking into those pull-over-the-head rebreathers I
saw on some discovery channel/PBS show on airline crashes (I haven't
scoured the catalogs yet) that are supposed to give you a few minutes of
non-toxic air...that might buy me some time to put out fire and plan my
emergency landing somewhere before I go and ventilate an already smoky
situation, which could just make a fire worse and make my extinguishing
efforts more futile...thought I read somewhere that our cockpits are
actually pretty well vented to begin with.

 Somewhere between now and first-flight I really ought to quit smoking
too (duh).

 Anyway, I'm glad Hugh made it thru and am real sorry over the loss of
his plane and his not getting it to Oshkosh THIS year.  Special Thanks
to Hugh for sharing his lessons learned.

Jeff Barnes
XL-RG N411JB