Re: Hugh Hyde

mhadley1@juno.com wrote:

> A Hugh Hyde quote

> "2. Carry a hand ax or a BIG hammer with you. (His most
> painful injuries were the fuel burns caused by the avgas. He > was trapped in the plane for about 30 minutes unable to get
> out. He said he figures he might have been able to lift
> himself by his arms high enough to get out of the gas and
> water had he been able to get the door or a window open.
> Also, as he put it, if you need to get to something in an
> emergency from inside the plane, you can replace a piece of
> fiberglass easier than trying to rebuild your whole
> airplane."

Good advice, however, before you rush out and purchase an axe consider a
fireman's tool.  They look like a small dull axe with a curved pick on
the back side.  The tool is made of hardened aluminum ( NON-SPARKING )
about 1/2" thick and 12" long,  it can be used to lift, pry, chop, hole,
and it is slotted so you can twist things with it.  The bottom is a
fireplug wrench that you can saw off and save some weight.   You surly
don't want to use a steel axe when you have AV gas leaking.

If I remember I got mine from Harbor Freight for less than $20 and I
will check and see what the part number was. Inexpensive, lightweight
insurance that should be placed where you can easily reach it.  If you
ever get smoke in the cockpit you could quickly ventilate it via a few
pick holes in the door, roof or side windows.

Jim
--
// James F. Agnew