Re: Elevators

<< I am having some problems with the instructions and material concerning the
>covering of the elevators.  The instructions indicate that I am to cut the
>unidirectional cloth on a 45 degree bias to a length of 64 inches.  With a
>cloth width of 38 inches, this seems to be mathematically impossible.

My manual says that the 64" comes from a roll 45" wide, adjust for different
width rolls. It may be hard to visualize this until you do it, but it does
work out. The biggest problem that I had was keeping the UNI dimensionally
correct. It has a real tendency to get quite a bit narrower as it is handled.
My advise? Let the slurry set up a bit and become tacky before appplying the
glass.

>If I assume that the 45 degree bias is important for structural integrity,
>would there be anything wrong with butting two pieces at any random length
>as long as the two layers are butted at different location.  Or, is it
>important to cover the entire elevator with one piece as shown in the
>diagram with just a small piece to cover the end?

You will have to butt pieces together. The strength comes from the UNI
crossing at 90 degrees to each other.

>Also, there appears to be no indication of what to do with the ends of the
>elevators.  Do I just enclose the ends with small pieces of unidirectional
>as I did with the ailerons?

These get closed off with fine BID. I used a die grinder along a ruler to set
a consistant depth of about 1/4 to 3/8" then slurried and added the fine BID.
Others that I have seen have been filled with alpha-poxy and micro-glass. One
leaves an appearance of a rib, the other a flush end. Whatever floats your
boat...

 Thanks in advance for any advice. >>

Your welcome,

Dale Alexander