Re: Self Insurance

Dennis Martin wrote:

> Dave wrote:
>
> >Personally, I plan to insure mine for only liability, ground operations, and
> >theft, fire, etc. I'll drop the ground operations if that costs very much.
>
> Sorry for the belated reply on insurance, but your idea makes sense to me.
> If any builders take your advice, I suggest setting aside the money you
> save as a "self-insurance premium."  Invest it in a money market or stock
> fund, and leave it there.  If you never need it, great.

I totally agree.  Paying today's insurance premiums on anything is like throwing
wood on a fire that's already burning out of control.  On the other hand if you
don't have you own wood pile (savings) then how much does a policy cost  for say
half the "finished " value so you would have enough to rebuild in the event of
total or partial loss of your homebuilt?

Having lost an uninsured airplane I know the feeling.

Alan Shaw