Re: Attaching your Ailerons to my wings.

Carl Hoffman wrote:

>        1. I presume an "aileron hinge backing plate" was used in
> the              building my ailerons?

Yes

>        2. Both your instructions and the Velocity Manual show removing
>           the center hinge pin and reversing the halves of the 6" and
>           8" lengths of piano hinges. This causes the the hinge halves
>           to be stagered. None of the drawings show this. Should I
>           permanaently install my Ailerons this way?

There is a little extra hinge material so pull the pin and make up 6" and
8" reversed aileron hinges.  Just cut 1/2" off of one half and start
fitting halves together into nice rectangles.

>        3. Do any of the staggered BSP-44 pop rivets which attach the
>           Aileron to the hinge go thru or interfere with with the
>           torque tube?

Your kit also comes with BSP-46's which are a little longer.  It is very
important that these go all the way through the hinge and backing plate
and into the torque tube.  Only the bottom row of rivets line up with the
tube inside.Also, be sure an don't cut through the face of my ailerons to
install the torque tubes.  This is the procedure outlined in the Velocity
manual for laminating the plates and skins AFTER the torque tube is in.
 With ours just use a 3/4" hole saw at the big end of the aileron then
sharpen the end of your torque tube to make the hole 10" deep.  Be sure
the hole is lined up straight and it's edge is centered one inch down the
front face.  80 grit sand  10" of the torque tube, coat the inside of the
aileron hole and the sanded end of the tube with with runny slurry  then
slip it in.  It's best (but not necessary) to do this after you have the
hinge positioned.  It is easyer to handle for fitting without the long
tube plus you can now put in the rivets before the slurry cures making for
a snug fitting tube.

I like to make the torque tube in one piece from the aileron to the engine
compartment.  Even with this long tube permanently attached to the end it
is still very easy to install the ailerons from the bottom.   This
eliminates two bolts in each aileron system that often develop play and
usually have interference with the top wing skin.
Installation is also greatly simplified if you rivet anchor nuts onto the
wing side of the hinge.
We keep "talking" about re-writing our suppliment plans in a new format
that has two columns.  One with the brief outline, for a quick reference
and those builders that hardly read  plans and the other column for those
builders who know there is no such thing as "to much" information, with
all the detailed notes and hints.
Hope you don't mine my putting the reply on the reflector but  I have a
lot of new customers with the same important questions.

Drop me a line any time.       Let's get these things in the air!

Alan