weights

All,

If you have the weighed figures for your aircraft, please post them. I
think that it will only take a few posting to show that the "thumb nail"
weights will actually be pretty broad.
600 - 700 lbs for the mains, under 100 for the nose.  Ideally 600 - 650
on the mains, 75 on the nose. But is it an XL or a Std FG? Big
difference!

First, I want to review a few things about doing a weight a balance. It
is real close to being critical that the aircraft is flight level while
weighing it. Also, make sure that all of the interior, equipment, etc.
that is going to stay in the plane virtually every flight ,is in the
plane when you weigh it. This includes items such as the ELTand Fire
Extiquisher. For your first flight, you may weigh the plane while it is
in primer. Once the plane is painted, I recommend that you reweigh the
plane to get an accurate EW (empty weight). If you paint, or your painter
is like the guy at work who shoots the white primer paint into the molds,
you could add 15 to 20 pounds to the plane easy!

 A couple of figures that are critical in really understanding and
appreciating these weights is the "arm" of where the weight is taken
(position in inches of the axle center(s) of the main and nose gear from
the nose of the airplane ).Generally, the nose gear arm is around 30"
while the main gear arm is around 129"  - 130". If two airplanes have
identical weights on the mains, but the arm is 2 inches different, empty
CG is going to be a lot different.

I too would be interested in the figures that I hope will be posted. For
grins I will try to get the numbers on the planes at work (N81VA and
N97XL).

Typically, 1275 to 1400 lbs has been the range for EW. EW CG has been
around the 126 - 127 inch area. With 170 lb pilot and 20 gals of fuel,
this generally brings the aircraft into the rear of the flight CG box.

Looking forward to hearing about you aircraft W&B,

Martin

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]