Re: (no subject)

On Mon, 08 Jun 1998 13:36:09 -0500 rdugas@bayou.com writes:
>  Any recs on brands of primary flight instruments?  Which should be
electric and which vacuum and YOUR reason why?  Thanks again.

Rene,

First, R.C. Allen makes a good, reputable, gyro instruments. United makes
good pitot/static instruments.

Second;
If you have a multi-engine aircraft with multi-electrical system
generating capabilities, (i.e. F-18, 747, Lear 55, G-IV, etc.) then I
would have no problem with suggesting an all electrical, dual redundancy
panel. The fact is, however, we have one engine, with (typically) one
electrical generating system.

It is also a fact that we can discuss "what if" scenarios until we are
all blue in the face with regards to dual alternators, dual batteries,
dual vacuum pumps, etc., etc., etc..(one engine!)

Virtually all certified production single engine aircraft built in the
US, Europe, the world for that matter, has a combination of vacuum driven
and electrical gyros. Military pilots and ATP's aside, what does that
tell you? There are good, sound reasons why every certified piston single
engine Piper, Beech, Cessna, Aerospaciale (sp?),  Rockwell, and on and
on, has dual source axis instrumentation.

So, Let's say you are in solid IFR conditions and your pitot and static
freezes up, your engine quites cause your gas all vented out and your
battery blows up? Now what are you going to do?

Safe and Speedy Construction

Martin

 (Correct answer: Fly the airplane first!)

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]