Re: Instruments

Having now an IFR rating and some flight time, I think that the standard
configuration with a vacuum driven horizon and d/g and an electric turn
coordinator provides the best mix.  Given the space on an XL's panel I
would also have a standby electric horizon gyro, as if the engine were to
quit in the clouds I would not want to handle both an engine out emergency
and a partial panel emergency.  (Technically partial panel should not be an
emergency, but in the soup I am going to treat it as such and land asap
with as much priority handling as I can get).

Why not just have it be electric to start with.... Because now an
electrical failure gives you no way to keep the wings level (both gyros are
out).