Re: Engine

Thanks for the prompt return on my email
Don't get me wrong I was not questioning your choice just looking for more
info.

I am giving a hard look at the LS1 motor because I am building an XL.
which can use the extra hp and for the weight I should be able to over come
that.

The reduction unit I like so far is Fred Gerschwender unit and as far as a
track record  he has been building unit for auto conversions for 30 years.

You may be interested in an article about Fred and his work.The article is
in Sport
Aviation March 1997 I found it very interesting.
Ron N34CV
----------
> From: Al Gietzen <alventures@email.msn.com>
> To: roncathy@ameritech.net
> Subject: Re:  Engine
> Date: Sunday, June 07, 1998 10:09 AM
>
> Ron;
>

> >Al You said you have done an in depth search for the right engine for
> >you and have chosen the rotary engine
>
> Well, I din't use the term "in depth" but I guess it's relative. I looked
> lot of options.  No doubt; engine selection, and parameters that make it
> work, is a complex task.  But interesting.  There are many unknowns, so
you
> end up making some judgements.  Although I intended to, I haven't yet
talked
> to Fred.  My understanding is that most of what he's done that's flying
is
> under the 200+ criteria that I set.
>
> I also wanted an engine with some proving in airplanes.  There are a
number
> of interesting new multivalve, all-aluminum engines that could be
excellent
> choices, but I didn't want to be the first.  The rotaries have
accumulated
> significant numbers of hours in aircraft and race cars and have proven to
be
> pretty robust.
>
> The data that I have on the LS1 show a basic engine weight of about 450
lb
> which already exceeds my limit of 400 lb full-up installation.  A full
> installation would be over 500 lbs.  And we don't need its 345 rated hp.
> Maybe for an XL.  And I also have the criteria for a "clean"
installation,
> i.e., no distortions of the cowling that mess up air flow to the prop.
The