Rudder Travel Redux

Hi All,

I'm about ready to close up the winglet/wing attach point. My previous posts
may not have been clear on exactly what I am looking for. Sorry!

I am concerned about the amount of rudder travel available/needed for safe
operation. Those who have modified the rudder system for internal rudder horn
know that space is at a premium inside the winglet. Lay-up "B" boxes in the
wing/rudder area and restricts further modification lest one tempt fate by
cutting lay-up "B" to allow more rudder horn travel. The total amount of area
that I have available for linear travel is approx. 2 inches. This is measured
from the inner edge of the rudder horn in the "at rest" position to the outer
layer of lay-up "B". When the rudder horn is moved to what will be the fully
extended position, total travel when measured from the outer surface of the
rudder to the outer edge on the horn is approx. 24-25 degrees. This is with
the pivot located at 5 inches.  The total length from the outer surface of
lay-up "B" to what will become the inner surface of lay-up "C" will be approx.
2 5/8 inches.Where I get into trouble is in when Alan Shaw says in a recent
post regarding my inquiry...

>The conduit should be close to the wing TE between the end of the aileron and
the
>winglet so that it swings forward towards a perpendicular alignment with the
>rudder horn when the rudder is at max load of 30+ degrees out.  You also need
at
>least a 3" void into the end of the wing for horn travel.

I looked at page 3-17 in the G3G-05 173 RGE manual and reverse engineered the
diagram of the rudder mechanism. I get approx. 25 degrees of travel. This is a
picture of the external rudder mechanism, so if my numbers are correct, I
should be OK even though I don't have Alan's 3 inches of void nor 30 degrees
of travel.

What I wanted to know is some hard numbers. Is 30 degrees desireable/needed?
If you have a flying bird or are finished with your rudder construction, would
anyone be kind enough to take an angle protractor and measure the rudder
deflection from the outer surface of the rudder to the winglet at full
extension. This would be a great help.

Of course, it may not be needed as the only mention of rudder deflection in
the manual is on page 12-9 and reads as follows:

"Rudders on the Velocity are not critical, and the aircraft can be operated
without them, but they sure come in handy during taxi and final approach."

Thanks guys and gals...

Dale Alexander
173 RGE