RE: Pictures to down load

> From: Al Gietzen[SMTP:alventures@email.msn.com]
>
> Carl wrote

Actually, it was me, not Carl.

>> The .JPG format uses a "lossy" compression algorithm, so it works
>> better for photographs rather than line drawings.
>
> Isn't it the other way around?  I think you'll find for images with
shading,
> GIF will give better image.

In theory, GIF will always give a better image, because its compression
algorithm retains all the original information. However, in a photograph,
the differences are nearly impossibe to see on even a large, high-res video
system. Also, GIF is limited to only 256 colors, so even with lossy
compression JPG usually comes out looking better (and a lot smaller) for
photos. For line art, though, where you have sharp, distinct boundaries
between graphic elements, JPG will turn those fuzzy, so GIF is a must.

As Al noted, BMP, although lossless, uses no compression, resulting in
extremely large images and slow downloads. Since every browser supports GIF
and JPG, and freeware image viewers and converters are readily available,
there's really no excuse for ever shipping a BMP.

 - Chuck

P.S. IrfanView, a really nice, free (for private use) image viewer and
converter can be found at:

	http://stud1.tuwien.ac.at/~e9227474/

I use it at work, so I paid him the 10 bucks.