Re: fuel systems

Ditto,
Here's another life experience to go along with Dale's story:
A cousin moved out of town leaving me his Fiat Strada to sell for him.  A
friend of mine said he was interested and asked that I drive it over to his
house to see it.  Five miles into the 8 mile trip it died on me.  Trying to
restart it, I finally gave up.  Several hours later I went back and it
started so I quickly drove it home.   My friend gave me/the car the benefit
of the doubt and a few days later asked that I bring it over again.  Five
miles later it died and I coasted into the same parking lot from the first
episode.  It wouldn't start, I waited several hours and voila it started.
I quickly drove it home before it died again.  Next day, same thing.  At
this point it was bordering on comical between my friend and I.  I told my
cousin about this and he said just sell it for whatever I could get for it
(dump it) and he admitted it hadn't been running well lately.  Puzzled, I
decided to troubleshoot the systems.  Carburetor - Fine.  Fuel Lines -
Fine. Fuel Pump(electric) - Fine.  Wait a minute what is this?  Another
fuel pump( engine driven) only disconnected. How are these foreign cars put
together.  I called a foreign car mechanic and asked how many fuel pumps
the car had.  He said one, engine driven pump.  I called my cousin and
asked him what was up.  He told me that a number of months back the engine
driven fuel pump had died and he had installed an electric pump in place of
the original mounted to the engine block.  I purchased a new engine driven,
installed it and presto the car ran beautifully.  The problem, the electric
driven as installed provided a constant fuel flow from the time the key was
turned on and it had a fuel pressure several times greater than the engine
driven original. So, consistently at the 5 mile mark the carb became so
saturated it flooded out and killed the engine.  I told my cousin (the
Electrical Engineer) what a bonehead move he had made and how well it ran.
He thanked me for fixing it and said he wanted it back since it ran great
again.

It's the change you don't anticipate a problem with that will bite you in
the tail feathers!!

Greg Otto
DMO150
N150GH

One of the reasons I selected the Velocity was for it's simplicity
especially in the fuel system design.

DAlexan424@aol.com on 05/29/98 08:05:24 AM