Re: Ram Pressure

> That was not the question, Dale. The question was: How much ram pressure do
> we get at which air speed. This question is answered by calibrating your
> pitot static system. I don't have the numbers with me but I remember that
> the ram pressure equivalent of 150 knots is of the order of a little over a
> foot of water.
>
> But: don't count on ram pressure in the vent system to feed your fuel! In
> the lower speed range (where you may need it most) it drops to inches!

Here's my idea.  I hope someone tells me if there is a problem
with it.

Okay.  First, remove the stock fuel pump housing and the pump.
This alone will save a few pounds of weight.

Install an electric boost pump ... preferably aviation
quality and lightweight.

Install a ram air vent line for pressurizing the tanks.

The reason for the ram air is that if I'm flying along fat
dumb and happy and with reserves down to my sump tank, I
would rather have the low fuel warning tell me that I
better find a place to land rather than having the engine
quit on me.

The boost pump should be on for takeoff and landing ops
like the Warrior I currently fly.

Am I crazy here?  I am going to test my fuel flow rate
as per Tony Bengalis' books for climbing and level
flight attitudes.  If I can get it without a fuel
pump then why should I use the stock fuel pump that
1) is known to have problems
2) weighs a lot.

Opinions and criticism welcome.

--
Brian Michalk  <http://www.awpi.com/michalk>
musician, home-brewer, entrepenuer and SINGLE!