Re: velocityxlrg300 Good news)

Jean Prudhomme wrote:

> since back of lakeland the bottoms winglets as been installed plus the
> 1/16"dia rudder cable as been also replaced by the 3/32"dia cable on wing
> parts only and also an aditional spring installed to increase the rudder
> tention for higher cable resistence on the nylaflow tubing.both timble been
> shorteen of 3/8" for the maximum rudder horn travel. for the attachement
> between the rudder horn and the cable we use the old velocity method as
> drilling and exagonal to insert an 3/32"dia hex.head self locking nut an
> than locked with an other 10/32" seftlocking nut see sketch as
> attachement.since than i been flying approx 8 to 10 hrs and the airplane is
> very stable at the yaw and no tendancy to shift at the left side on low
> speed climb after take-off. the right gear leg been replaced and after
> checked the old one i came-up to the conclusion about the cracking and i
> thing the cause was due to the first gear made with special high temp epoxy
> and been cured over 400 degre farenheight so the eposy look more
> brittle.now i use the original gear leg made with previous epoxy and it
> perform well.
> last week i been in touch whit scoot at the factory and he ship me a kit of
> vortex generator for testing on my velocity,last friday night i install
> those vortex generators on the wing only for the first test and i will
> install also on the canard later.i did flown last sathurday and today and i
> still more test to be done. the first result i obtain the aircraft is more
> stable at low speed and i have more aileron autority and they seem to work
> much smoother
> regarding stall testing i am waithing more votex generators from scott for
> the canard.as soon i complete all test i let you know.
> the present generator are located at 20 % of the wing cord this is the best
> location as per previous test been done on several aircraft.
> jean prudhomme velocity xlrg 300 hp N140JP

>                      Name: rudder horn ass,y.001
>                      Type: unspecified type
>    Part 1.2                (application/octet-stream)
>                  Encoding: base64

Hello Jean !

	Glad N140JP is back in the air where it belongs. I have a few
questions:

1) How much top-end speed did you lose with the vortec generators ?

2) What kind of computer program did you use to create the sketch named
"rudder horn ass,y.001" that you attached to your note?  This will help
us read it: I've tried it as a "bitmap" (.bmp), a jpeg (.jpg), a winfax
document (.fxd) and have not been able to read it.

3) On the additional spring: do you mean you added a spring in the
WINGLET to counteract the higher resistance of the 3/32 cable in the
nylaflow (as Alan Shaw had predicted) ?

4) Are you going to replace the left gear leg with one that matches the
right?

	Be careful with those Vortex generators on your canard: you know what
happens if you stall your main wing before your canard !

Best Regards,
Jeff Barnes
XL-RG N411JB