Re: Rudder Cable Problems

On Mon, 18 May 1998 20:32:19 +1000 "James K. Glindemann"
<jglind@netspace.net.au> writes:
>dale,
>  On our Long EZ I put a couple layers of clear heat shrink tubing over
the nicopress >tapering down onto the cable. The clear tubing still
allows inspection of the cable but >ensures not all of the bending takes
place at the junction of the cable and sleeve.

>Jim Glindemann
>V173 rg unidoor

On Mon, 18 May 1998 07:33:05 PDT "lawrence epstein"
<ljepstein@hotmail.com> writes:

>(although not the "reverse" deflection problem, the clear heat shrink
sounds like a >good solution...)

On Mon, 18 May 1998 15:54:31 EDT CHUCK173RG <CHUCK173RG@aol.com> writes:

>...I'm installing clear shrink wrap...

*************
Is it possible that with clear (or any other color for that matter)
shrink tubing that in the event of one or two strands breaking, the
tubing itself will prevent the end from "fraying" to a point where it is
visable during a routine walk around?

If the shrink used is of a thick wall design and suitable for strain
relief purposes, my concern would be that it would prevent the broken end
from "exposing" itself until it has had time to poke through the shrink
tubing. While the idea of putting shrink tubing on the nico press end
addresses the short term problem of flexing and breakage, I am not sure
that it would prevent this event from occuring eventually and then "mask"
the situation until it potentially could become a complete failure.

???

Safe and Speedy Construction

Martin

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]