AIR FILTERS

Simon;
   In reguards to the air filter issue, I to was concerned about dirt in my
engine.
Being a strong advocate of air filters, the issue for me was never one of if I
needed it but how to install one.
   I have done extensive modifications to my plane from the firewall aft. I
have
been able to get my Franklin engine installed with no bumps whatsoever on the
cowling,in fact, I have taken advantage of the narrower profile of the
Franklin
engine to "sweaten" the lines of the cowling. In doing these modifications I
redesigned the combustion air scoop. My scoop looks like a P-51 scoop with
a coarse s.s. screen as a primary rock guard. than I used a rectangular
automotive air filter which I placed in the horizontal position. A plenum than
transitions to the throttle body. In the plenum I have installed a spring
loaded
door which functions as an alternate air sorce in the event of icing or other
filter
obstructions.

Dave Lincoln