Re: Birdstrikes !

> From:          Jeff Barnes <jcbarnes@ibm.net>

> What's that stuff they sandwich between our car windshields?  Would a
> layer of that super-plastic or some such on inside of our windshield
> markedly increase odds for survival against bird strike?  Or even
> aluminum door screening: it doesn't block vision when eyes are focused

Metal screening of any kind would either obscure vision or wouldn't
be strong enough to do any good.

I'm not sure even the streachy plastic they use inside car
windshields would do any good. There have been numerous cases of
people going through windshields, even though most of the force is
absorbed by the dash/steering wheel and speeds are often much less than
60 MPH at impact. Could a car windshield stop an five pound bird
hitting at 200 MPH?

I don't remember the details of your strike, but did the windshield
shatter? If it didn't then it did protect you against the bird. (I
can't help that the plexi flexed enough to seperate from the fusalage
and create a bird strainer. :) Maybe better bond between the
windshield and the fusalage?

Fortunately for us, the Velocity windshield slopes enough that a lot
of the force of impact gets vectored upwards. I suspect on a SQ2000
it'd be BONG!! - 'What the heck was that?' and on a Cessna they'd be
removing imbedded bird from the _back_ of your seat.

---
David Parrish