Insurance Postings

Milton Mersky wrote:

> We have to renew the insurance on our 173RG.
> Please give me names of insurance companies and a  way to reach them that you think are OK.
> WE now have Avemco & they are very expensive.
> Thanks.  Milton Mersky

To all,
 Most are aware of various AVEMCO discounts for being EAA Chapter member
and/or Central States Assoc member and/or having your project
checkpointed by an EAA tech advisor but I can't fail to mention it.
These things are also factory recommended and should aid at
certification time.
 I'm a low-time non-IFR pilot (weren't we all): before I fly my project
I intend to begin racking up retract & aerobatic time then when I'm
finally flying my project, first priorities are to accumulate
time-in-type and go for my IFR ticket & look into a CFI: in the long run
these things should pay for themselves in insurance savings as well as
improve my odds of never needing to use my insurance and overall enhance
utility & pleasure of my aircraft.

Please share with us your ultimate findings, Milton, and hope the
following helps.

Jeff Barnes, XL-RG, N411JB, MORE BELOW !

Here's some excerpts of a recent thread (4/5 - 4/8/98) on Insurance from
the canard-aviators forum (join by link from http://www.canard.com).
(My anecdotal comments, if any, in >>>...<<<).  I'm taking a liberty
with a cross-forum reprints, but last time I asked C.W.Wright about
cross-posting the Burt Rutan heart attack he said that was quite OK.

Excerpts are:
I carry liability insurance only on N26EZ and N888EZ.  The company I
prefer to trade with is Universal Insurance Services, Inc in High Point,
North Carolina (800) 510-1799.  The broker to speak to is Bob Urbine -
he was EAA's insurance connection for many, many years until Pope Paul
found a way to wring a few more bucks his way through AVEMCO.

I have been paying $625 annual for $1,000,000 single limit liability on
both planes with 3 rated pilots.  This year Dad turned 70, so the price
went up to $650 total for the 2 birds.  These guys know experimentals,
like them in spite of the excommunication, etc.

Dick Kreidel
I endorse Dick Kriedel's endorsement!!  Universal Insurance Services has
been my choice for over 8 years.  Very good prices and no hassle.

Jerry Hansen
I've always gotten good service from Avemco.  I carry only liability, no
hull insurance.  If I break a wing or canard, I have to build the new
one, anyway.

Fred in Florida
Long-EZ N86LE
Defiant project

>>> Maybe not so smart ?: Check with Ins provider of course, but your wing, hull, etc has a definite value (GreenTree will attest to that), as does your properly logged & reasonable build-time ($15.hr I 'heard')... Maybe Fred didn't talk to anybody at North Perry or Opalocka, but quite a few planes no doubt were just sitting there when a tornado dropped another plane on top of them: re-building a wing/etc can be an expensive proposition, also, what about Don White's hanger fire ? <<<

<< I've always gotten good service from Avemco.  I carry only liability,
no hull insurance.  If I break a wing or canard, I have to build the new
 one, anyway. >>

The above is a good point-It probably does cost more to buy insurance
than to rebuild.
  >>> Oh yeah !  Maybe a VEZ 10 years ago..try a Velocity<<<
What up about the engine, instruments, radios, etc.
though.  Is it possible to buy insurance to cover just those items?

Another question-Can you buy separate theft insurance?  I've heard about
people driving out to the airport only to find a stripped plane-no
engine, radios pulled and the like.

  >>> How about a stolen Velocity in a drug-run ?  <<<

Dick Finn

AIG (Aircraft Insurance Group, Ltd.) had no problem insuring my
Long-EZ.  They did require that I have 10 hours with an instructor in
the plane before solo, then another 10 hours solo before taking
passengers.  I have both liability and hull coverage.  They can be
reached at 405-495-4230 or 800-654-4215.

Wayne Arendsee
506EZ

Gentlemen:   I have never had a problem insuring my Long-EZ.  I have had
all kinds of coverage including hull.  At the moment I carry $1 million
single limit insurance along with hull insurance for ground damage (
inflight costs considerably more) My carrier is Avemco.  I believe that
hull insurance covers theft which is the reason I carry it.  ( I really
should check it out for sure --- silly me).  My coverage is just under a
$1000.00 /yr.

Verne "Catman" Simon