Re: just checkin' in

Dave,

Has the Velocity news group fallen by the way side?  I haven't seen any
mail in a couple months now.
The Velocity Reflector? It's very much up and running. Are you not receiving messages? Send a note to  "Brian K. Michalk" <michalk@awpi.com>  asking to be put back on the list.
You have to be getting close to first flight! I saw the painted beauty in
the last newsletter. I'm really anxious to see it! Has got to be beautiful.
I'm getting back to it now, after a couple months off to tour Australia. The fuselage is painted, the wings and canard should be completed in the next few weeks. THEN I'll finally begin building and installing my panel. Then plumbing, wiring, and interior and I'm set to go. I hope to fly in August or September.
Wim never provided me with the tapes and builders manual for the Velocity.
I was wondering what the torque setting is supposed to be on the nose wheel
bolt. Do you have that number?
The old videos Wim and I received were Very Amateurish. Velocity has re-done the videos within the last year. You might want to order a new set from the Factory. You're bound to learn enough to make the expenditure worthwhile.

As far as the torque specification on the nosewheel castoring bolt, I don't believe there is one. I believe the Factory is looking for a specific drag to the nosewheel steering. But even that is only a starting point. You'd still need to tighten or loosen the bolt until you get the best compromise between steering ease and nosewheel chatter. I'd expect the "best" setting to be when the nosewheel is as loose as possible without it breaking into oscillation during high-speed taxi.

But I caution you that I have not done my high-speed taxiing yet, and anyway my plane is an RG while yours is a FG Elite. I believe there are differences in the way they handle. So your best bet may be to contact Velocity to get their latest thoughts on this question. I'm posting this to the Reflector in the hope other builders can give you more accurate information.

Best,

Dave Black