Re: 3/32" Rudder Cables

Dennis Martin wrote:

> Jean:
>
> Thanks for all the tips.  I think I will put the 3/32" diameter cable in
> for my rudders.  Does anyone know if there are any drawbacks other than a
> few ounces of weight?
>
> Dennis Martin,

The 3/32" cables cause high resistance in the conduit bends and sluggish
response.  The problem has and will probably continue to be miss diagnosed.
The Nico Sleeves should be stainless steel not chromed brass and the conduit
should be firmly bonded down especially in the bends.The 1/16" cable is rated
at 480 lbs. with aprox. 1/100" of stretch over a 10' run at 100 lbs.  If you
pull at the fire wall on the fuselage cables with a gauge and ruler you will
see about 5/8" at 100 lbs and 1/2" at 50 lbs. of so called "stretch" in the
standard installation.  Most of this comes from were the conduit leaves the
wire duct and hangs loosely up to the firewall.  Just watch it when you step
hard on the rudder cable.
Some owners leave slack in the cables between the firewall and the wing root
which prevents pulling Nico Sleeves but this makes for a sloppy Veloppy.
Actually, Jean, it is better to stay on runway center line and land the plane
in a crab than to try and hold the plane straight.   With most of my previous
time in tail draggers and twin Commanders it was hard for me to fly my
Velocity onto the runway while still partially sideways but they just
straighten out after they hit.   If you land in the sod off to the side, gear
removal is certain and flipping is very likely.
Also very critical in the prevention of pulling Nico Sleeves loose is the
adjustment of the brakes relative to the rudders.  This is  simplified if the
master cylinders have a greater volume relative to the brake cylinders.  With
the the retrofit of the superior Matco brakes the factory has been working on
this area.
In construction of the wings we use an embedded rudder horn that is 5" from
the hinge to the center of the thimble hole.  We also lay the cable close
around the corner of the aileron well then as close to that wing T.E. as
possible.  From here the cable can curve sweeping forward such that when the
rudder cable is pulled in the conduit is perpendicular to the rudder horn for
max. leverage at this point of max. load.

Alan Shaw