Re: Canard Alignment

Title: Re: Canard Alignment

        I believe this problem may be due to an offset built into the location of the reference hole in the fuselage flange at the nose.   I noticed this on Doug Doers plane and then again on mine (#204) at the start.   When queried about centering the location, the factory said " glass over and re-drill".   I found the true center using straight edges on each side under the flange, glassed and redrilled.

 ----------
From: Bob Ginsberg
To: Brian K. Michalk
Cc: reflector@awpi.com
Subject: Re: Canard Alignment
Date: Wednesday, April 29, 1998 8:31AM

I actually had a machinist make me a small bushing so I didn't have to
use many washers or make something out of triax.  It is made from a solid
piece of aluminum, same diameter and hole as the wide washers used at the
tab.

What is really interesting to me is the fact that we all have this "gap."
  When I first discovered it, I was really upset with myself for being so
sloppy.  Then I saw David Jackson's plane, which was about the 12th one
built, and he had the same gap. Later, I found out about the mold being
made this way, and no mention of it in the construction manual.

So, is there mention of this in the manual now? I haven't seen the new
ones.
 --
Bob Ginsberg - Velocity N173BG - Big Ape Gyms