Re: Canard Alignment

Bob Ginsberg wrote:

> I actually had a machinist make me a small bushing so I didn't have to
> use many washers or make something out of triax.  It is made from a solid
> piece of aluminum, same diameter and hole as the wide washers used at the
> tab.
>
> What is really interesting to me is the fact that we all have this "gap."
>   When I first discovered it, I was really upset with myself for being so
> sloppy.  Then I saw David Jackson's plane, which was about the 12th one
> built, and he had the same gap. Later, I found out about the mold being
> made this way, and no mention of it in the construction manual.
>
> So, is there mention of this in the manual now? I haven't seen the new
> ones.
> --
> Bob Ginsberg - Velocity N173BG - Big Ape Gyms

Bob, if you use the true centerline method (i.e., a very tight string
down the center) and carefully install your bulkheads perpendicular to
the centerline you will have no to a very slight gap (a few thousands)
due to the tabs nit being perfectly in line.  If you use the nose bolt
hole measurements you will always get the gap.

Jim
--
// James F. Agnew